Mr. Mathews founded Ecosign in 1975 to provide environmentally sensitive planning and design services to mountain resort areas and has directed the planning and design of over 400 major mountain resort projects in 42 countries.
Mr. Mathews has developed extensive experience and a keen eye for the location and arrangement of lifts and pistes in the mountain zones and for the design of new or renovated resort villages in the mountains. This expertise has also led to the study and redesign of several traditional mountain villages in Central Europe, with substantial improvements in the pedestrian environment and the traffic and transportation systems for holiday makers, local people and also the movement of goods and freight.
Mr. Mathews has received numerous awards for his work on various projects by the Association of Landscape Architects, the Canada West Ski Areas Association and other organizations. Mr. Mathews is a frequent lecturer on Ski Resort Planning in both North America and Europe.
Mr. Mathews holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Forest Ecology from the University of Washington in Seattle, USA where he also studied landscape architecture for two years.
Mr. Mathews holds a membership in the following associations and professional societies.
- Member – Association of Ski Area Consultants
- Member – Society of American Foresters
- Associate Member – National Ski Areas Association
- Associate Member – Canada West Ski Areas Association
- Associate Member – Pacific Northwest Ski Areas Association
- Associate Member – Intermountain Ski Areas Association
- Associate Member – Association des stations de ski du Quebec